There’s been some debate about what professional qualifications such as PRINCE2 can really do for your job prospects. While they won’t guarantee you a job, they will certainly improve your chances as recent studies now reveal. International professional qualification such as PRINCE2, ITIL, COBIT, MSP, Lean Sigma among others will surely help you:
1. Meet job specifications. Look in the job ads for project manager, IT service manager and find one that doesn’t specify PRINCE2 or ITIL as essential or desirable. How many did you find, truly go ahead and search. Even when not stated, certification is often a given, in fact some recruitment agencies won’t even consider you without them and some interviewers may wonder why you didn’t formalize your experience by tackling the training and the exams. Don’t give them the chance.
2. Move from the academic to the real world. For undergraduates or graduates familiar with an academic environment, PRINCE2 could be your door to the real world as it tells employers that you’ve thought seriously about your career progression path and that you’re ready for business.
3. Get your foot in the door – or get it open! Trying to get into project management can seem daunting even if you have employment experience. Put PRINCE2 on your CV, though, and it says: I’m interested, I’m committed and I’m across everything that’s behind it and its application. It makes you more likely to be considered for any project management opportunity that fits you best: work experience, internship, associated role and for a trainee as well as junior project manager post.
4. Go global with your job prospects. PRINCE2 can not only help open doors it can keep them open. If you’re a professional who has landed a job with project management competencies, its proven methodology will give you the confidence to back up decisions when challenged; if you’d love to get that kind of job it’ll instill the competence and confidence to go for it. PRINCE2 is totally portable and acknowledged across the global job market. Think of it as one element of your back-up plan in case things don’t shape up as well as you’d like.
5. Show employers you’ve still got it. Having PRINCE2 on your CV demonstrates that along with years of unbeatable experience you’ll be bringing potential employers today’s recognized best practices that improve project success and not yesterday’s tired and failed methods.
6. Credibility for contractors. Freelance operatives are like mini companies and like all companies they have to sell themselves, their reputation and their skills. Much easier to do that with PRINCE2 on your resume. It is evidence that you’re using a proven and consistent methodology that they can understand and that you know that project management is all about delivering.
7. Employers see PRINCE2 as the safe bet. In times of crisis we all head for safety. For HR and training and development departments that means PRINCE2. Faced with the need to spend less whilst still ensuring that staff get top-class training so they can deliver projects successfully, they see PRINCE2 as the de-facto standard for project management according to a recent report. Doubtless they have taken into account worldwide research demonstrating its benefits.
8. Value for money employee. Ask yourself this: since training budgets are tight what will a company offering openings in the project management field think if you turn up already trained in one of the foremost, international project management qualifications?
Africa Value Solutions (AVS) currently offers the following PRINCE2® courses
- e-Learning PRINCE2® Foundation
- e-Learning PRINCE2® Practitioner
- PRINCE2® Re-Registration Examination